5.22.2012

Kindergarten Recap

We've successfully completed the first year of school... Kindergarten! 

What a year it has been on so many different levels. Emma is such a bright girl.. she's so smart, her imagination continues to be out of this world, her attitude changes like the hours in the day but her heart, her heart continually speaks about Jesus and how much she loves Him. How her brain has absorbed everything that it has this year has been simply amazing and she has learned so much. 

  • She's reading like crazy and I love that she is starting show the emotion of the words in the story when she reads aloud.  
  • When she wants to, she can do a phenomenal job on her writing and loves to get creative in the way that she does it. Her favorite thing to do I think is to dot each curve and edge of her letters. Although it's probably not what her teacher wants, I can't help but smile because it's just so "her".  
  • She loves math, always does it first on all of her papers.  
  • She loves to be artistic, but she doesn't want limitations on it. Much like many other things, she wants her art to be an expression of Emma. Sometimes an expression that we understand, other times an expression that we bang heads about. 
  • For gym, she's not too crazy about it. She can take it or leave it, but I think she started enjoying it more as the school year was ending. 
  • She loves to sing, after all, the girl wants to be a rockstar when she grows up. She loves to make up her own songs though or have her own version. 
  • She likes going to chapel, but she hates that she has to sit still for "so long". ;) 
  • Library she enjoys, so much so that she checks out the same books repeatedly and generally in the different seasons then they were intended. ;)  They must be really good! 
  • Recess she could take it or leave it - which is so strange because she loves the outdoors.. but I think she really likes to spend one on one time with her teacher whenever possible so if she had the opportunity to leave it, I think she would more often. 
  • Behaviorally, she was in the principals office.. oh lets just say more than zero times, so that is too many.. but I think as the year went on we made some progress. She matured a little bit more, was more in control of herself and I hope that we can continue to improve over the summer. Emma is such a strong willed child with so many ideas in that gigantic thing we call her imagination that sometimes it's a bit of a detriment to her. I have no doubt that she has amazing gifts that God has given her. I see them every. single. day. now it's just putting them all together to do what will bring glory to Him. 

So how was Kindergarten for this Mom? 

Let's be real with each other. 

As a mom, a year that I thought was going to be absolutely fantastic  - it was rough. It was a really rough year on some levels as it related to behavior and ultimately, we got through it. There were times where I didn't know if we would. And during this time one would think that there would be this outpouring of  love and support from others, instead most often what I saw was judgement from others. Yeah sure, I know some of it was in my head. But some was not. Some was very real.  

Moms, why do we do this to each other? When we flash each other looks of glaring eyes that say "my child would never do that!" instead of a half crooked smile that says "you're not alone, I've been there!" And it's not even just about child behavior (geez.. through this I'm making it sound like Emma is a hellion.) it's about everything. It's in everything and about everything under the sun that these looks and attitudes come about.  And it's exhausting. Sure I've cast my fair amount of judgement, I'm not going to say I haven't, but isn't it just exhausting no matter what side of the situation you are on? I think so. I guess I just want to challenge you if you're reading this, and even to myself, is be kind and respectful to your fellow mom and their children. After all, this is just the beginning and these little people will do what we do more often then do what we say! 

A Note for Emma -

My Dearest Emma, 

I am so incredibly proud of you. I know that I am entirely way too hard on you sometimes. I am this way, because I want you to be the best that you can be. I want you to live up to the full potential that I know you have inside of you. You have such a wonderful spirit. And sometimes I find myself feeling like the spirit crusher. I never want to crush your spirit, love. I want you to be you. I pray daily that God would direct me to help you grow in a way to where your sweet spirit would remain intact. In a way that what you say, think and do would bring glory to God. Your love for God is something so real, Emma. It truly is. You continually express it and when you speak about it so often my heart feels so full of joy that it almost feels weak.  You are such a blessing and I thank God that He gave me you. 

Love, 
Mom



No comments: