It was 12 years ago, the Summer of '99 when I met Nikki. I was her "dessert hook-up". She would always be eying a slice of the yummy turtle cheesecake. In the midst of working with all of the men in the kitchen, she was most often a breath of fresh air and a smiling face when I needed it most. But as we know life tends to "happen" and we all move on in our own ways. It came to be the only really time I saw was every once and awhile at Minerva's. Until I had heard that she was had auditioned for Big Brother, my all time favorite show! I would ask her all kinds of details about what the status was and was even the President of the famous Nikki Walter Fan Club on Facebook. Big Brother came and went and we lived our lives normally after all the hype. :)
Then, it was a month and a half ago that Nikki's husband Nathan was diagnosed with Leukemia. The only time I met Nathan was at their wedding. And even then it was just a quick "Congratulations" type of greeting. I honestly don't know that I would've recognized him on the street if he wasn't with Nikki.
But the moment I heard the news about Nathan, something inside of me said... ACT. These people are going through what is one of life's biggest struggles.. DO SOMETHING! I waited a few days after hearing the news but God just kept pushing me and pushing me to do something. To step out, and make a difference. From there, the Fighting for Nathan facebook page took off, the t-shirt design was made, the wrist bands were ordered... and the orders? Just flooded in. I was in awe of the generosity of people. Every time I got an alert that there was a new order tears just flooded my eyes. People stepping out in faith, making a difference for this family through prayer, donations, facebook posts, the list goes on.
To date, we've presented the Walter's with a check for $1,000. Although no amount of money can take away everything they are going through, it is my prayer that it will help them make things a little easier to bare financially.
My goal through all of this was to help the Walter's. I wasn't intending on gaining anything from it personally. But something else happened along the way. I became inspired. Inspired by the generosity. Inspired by friendships. Renewed hope in mankind.
My challenge to anyone reading this is... when something inside of you tells you to ACT to step out in faith and DO something to make a difference, do it. I think if we start going into situations of life with no expectations to gain anything, you'll be surprised on what God will throw your way.
There are simple situations in everyday life that will allow you to step out and make a difference. Look for them, step out in faith, Act.
No comments:
Post a Comment